Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What's the score?

You can hear one of my favorite scores below. After you click it you can read the rest of the blog while it plays...or you can just read. :-)




A film score is a broad term referring to the music in a film which is generally categorically separated from songs used within a film. The term film score is frequently synonymous with film soundtrack, though a soundtrack may also include the songs used in the film while the score does not. A score is sometimes written specifically to accompany a film, but may also be compiled from previously written musical compositions.
-Wikipedia.

Now that you have the technical term, a film score is basically background music used to accentuate the mood of the scene.

On the budget of this film (zero is a number right?) I can't afford to have music written specifically to accompany this film. I probably can scour the Internet to find a music composer willing to do it on my budget, (I did say zero right?) but at this point I will compile music from previously written musical compositions. How can I afford that? It's called "royalty free" music. You can buy or find royalty free music on the Internet that you can use in any form of media you wish as long as you provide credit to the artist.

I began the search about a week before principal photography (when we shot the film) and am still looking. I found some good selections, but since I want to finish editing the shots together before I add the score it will probably be the last thing that we do.

No comments: