Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cast Away 2 or How I Met Ms. Holley

No this is not about a sequel to that Tom Hanks movie, but it is a sequel to my previous blog post Cast Away

In total we had 13 actors to audition. Most of them came from Stonehenge (see Cast Away 1). Some of them came from a good friend of mine LaFonde Holley.

In casting I wanted to explore the avenues open to me through my contacts with the local African American theater community. A main advocate of mine in that quest was Ms. Holley.

Ms. Holley called a list of her best actor friends and several were available to audition. Ms. Holley also surprised me by showing up to my auditions. Of course I invited her to sit next to me and she helped me audition the actors. It was such a pleasant surprise. Even though we have talked over the phone I hadn’t seen Ms. Holley in years. I met Ms. Holley when she was the stage director of a televised play I wrote called Love, Rhythm, & Blues. She has always been an advocate of my “great writing” (Her words, not mine, but I can agree that her words are pretty accurate. LOL) and even referred me for a nice paying freelance writing job.

Anyone who knows her know Ms. Holley is a force of nature and I’m blessed to have her as a friend.

From the auditions I cast many of the roles, but exactly what those roles are and who will be playing them will have to be in a future blog post. I know how wicked of me. >:(

No comments: