Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cast Away

I know the blog title is corny, but that’s the best I could think of on short notice. I want to talk about my cast and my casting process.

On Sunday, May 18, my producer and I attended Stonehenge. This is their description:
Stonehenge is a one-day casting event held several times throughout the year in various cities. If you're an actor, think of it as a mass audition. You'll be able to perform a monologue in front of 20 or more production companies looking to produce films in the near future. If you're a filmmaker, think of Stonehenge as a mass casting tool, showing you over 100 actors whom you might call back to read for a specific part.

I was hoping I would some fantastic actors and I did. From this casting session I found










Kesha Afrika Oliver and she will be playing “Mary”.








Tony Martin and he will be playing “Kenny”.






The last casting I found wasn’t really through Stonehenge, but he was there.

I met Archie Williams in 1996 when he was cast in another televised play I wrote called Without a Doubt. I’ve been in touch with him over the years and even worked with him when we volunteered for the Maryland Film Festival. He will be playing “Uncle George”.










Insight on my creative process

  • The character "Mary" was named after my favorite female singer whom I’ve loved since What’s The 411? Since she is worldwide and “mainstream” now, you can probably figure out who she is.
  • In keeping with the “music theme” I named Mary’s husband after Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds.
  • “Uncle George” was named after my dear departed uncle who was every bit as raucous as the character I wrote.

I’ll reveal the inspiration for the other character names when I cast those roles. I know you can’t wait, but you’ll have to. LOL

No comments: