Monday, September 29, 2008

Director's Cut-Edit 3:Meet the EIC

Since I wanted you all to know who this infamous Gino I keep refferring to here he is, the EIC-Editor in charge, my pinoy brother Gino.















I almost had to fire Gino tonight though. :/ Gino recommended, make that insisted that, he have some snacks while he edit. “We need some snacks man”. Well while he edit changed to before he edit. He loaded up on salsa and tortillas and then caught “the itis”. For the uninitiated “the itis” is slang for the general feeling of lethargy and well-being experienced after eating a satisfying meal. In other words he got sleepy.

He didn’t sleep, but he was lethargic. I was almost about to get my Donald Trump on (you’re fired!) when he snapped out of it. See I got the snacks because I know what a long process editing is. In college I spent upwards of 14 hours editing a 3-minute piece. I was just kidding about firing him. How can you fire someone who’s willing to work for snacks? Suffice it to say though he WON’T be getting any snacks before editing again though LOL.

For real though Gino is the EIC because he is an excellent editor. “The editor is the one who ultimately creates the production......The editor has to analyze the given material and make intellectual and aesthetic decisions that will result in the finished work." 1

The person who performs editing (in consultation with the director) on a movie in my opinion is one of the most important people on a film. We could shoot film all day and night and it won't mean a damn thing if it isn't edited together into a coherent piece. So for now I guess I’m gonna have to stick with Gino…


at least until this film is finished. LOL.

You can see a piece Gino edited in the official ‘Nother Brother Entertainment blog post Here's to the Heroes


1 The third eye: critical literacy and higher order thinking skills are improved through a film studies class; Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, Nov 2002 v46 i3 p220(11)
Previous editing blog entries:
Director's Cut
Director’s Cut-Edit 2

No comments: