Saturday, November 7, 2009

Keeping Score: What's the Score Part 2

More than a year ago I spoke of adding music to The Part in my blog entry What's the score?  I am happy to say that I found some great music for the film, but it was a long road.

I scoured the Internet for royalty free music for the film, but couldn’t find anything that fit. I then reached out to some local Independent music artists that I knew and FINALLY found what I was looking for. It was a tough process, let me explain (and you knew I would).

The Part is a “family drama” and while it’s about love, the music I found was the wrong kind of love. Every song I heard was about falling in love, falling out of love, or making love. All great concepts, but the scenes in The Part had nothing to do with any of those matters.

After I found some music, my Music Supervisor (you can read more about what that is in the blog entry here) had to listen to it and see if it fit in the film and then I negotiated the rights.

We also came across some great songs that just didn’t fit in the film. This is a short film and I really didn’t want it wall-to-wall music. It isn’t a Michael Jackson short film after all.(R.I.P. MJ)

I’m happy to say that we finally did find the music and I would like to showcase the artists who contributed.

The first person that graciously allowed us to use their music was superbly talented Reina Williams.

The next person was the singer extraordinaire Kimia "Chyna Doll" Collins.

We also included a song from our man of many talents Gino’s (the EIC) band Rubberband.

The last person we secured music from also worked on the film Stephen Cooper. In between shots Stephen remarked to me that he was a musician. I told him we were still looking for music and feel free to submit some. He did and we picked one of his songs.

NEXT I will include all of their available info and how you can listen and buy some of their music.

Related posts:
What's the Score? [1]

Meet the music artists of The Part: What's the Score Part 3

 

No comments: