Tuesday, August 12, 2008

You can call her Miss Ross

Allow me to introduce herself
Her name is Andrea, RO to-the-S-S
We saw others but she was the best best
Naw I didn’t stutter she was just that good
If ya didn’t know her before now you wished you would

Ok enough of that. LOL. I’m just SO happy to find my star that I had to bust out in song, or rap as it were, like some musical or something. Yes the open was an homage to Jay-Z (My Name is Hov). I’m not a poet and didn’t know it. I don’t bust a rhyme all the time. I don’t always talk like Mother Goose or Dr. Suess. Ok I’m finished. Seriously.

I will go into more detail about how she was cast later (and it is a story!). Right now I want to praise this young actor and give her her just due.

Ladies and gentlemen, Andrea Ross















Insight on my creative process



I can now reveal why I named this character Aisha. Her parents are like my surrogate parents. They have always supported my artistic endeavors and I even named two of my main characters in my televised play Love, Rhythm, & Blues after them.

My cousin and I also share something else. We were the only kids, so far, in our generation to graduate from college. We often talked about school and most importantly getting a job after school. I even started my own personal rivalry. I say personal rivalry because I don’t think she knew that I wanted to beat her to the graduation finish line. She is younger than me, but we were in college at the same time because I didn’t start college until my early twenties. I just couldn’t let, wouldn’t let my “little cousin” graduate before me and I’m glad to say she didn’t. :-)

Anyway, that is just a little background on the relationship my cousin and I share and why I named the character after her. In tribute to her and her parents. When it came time to name the other younger cousins in the script I named them also after my other cousins. When it comes to naming characters in my scripts everything is often relative.

No comments: